Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pain in the BUNION!

Those of you that live here close have probably seen the ads on TV for Sirex's research study for a pain medication after BUNION removal. Well, here it is, just what you all have been waiting and wanting to see... pictures of my FEET! These are of course the BEFORE pictures.

I noticed I had a BUNION just last Sept. while I was in Kentucky visiting my sister. One night I look down at my foot and I was like "Oh my HECK!! I have a BUNION!!! Sick!!"

What exactly is a BUNION you ask? ... A misalignment of the two major bones of the foot (big toe) (hallux valgus) that causes the big toe to cave in on the 2nd toe that will continually get worse over time if left untreated.


I know, I know! More than you ever wanted to know about me!
So, I made the call and got in on the action. I was screened and x-rayed and poked and prodded and they said that my BUNION qualified and that upon completion I would receive the surgery etc. for FREE and a NICE check.


I never thought I would sign up for a study again after my wisdom teeth removal study. What can I say, I am a sucker!
This one was definitely more involved, I had to stay for 2 nights and 3 days and the pain... SO much worse!!! They completly cut your bone in two pieces in a V shape, put it in the proper alignment and pin it in place. Oh, and did I mention that I get the placebo every time I do a research study? Well I do!


My Jeffrey came and got me this afternoon and about fell off his chair laughing when he saw me in my pitiful condition;). Sadly I had to leave the walker there! Honestly, that thing is ingenious! I need one!

I was so glad to get home and take that darn boot off! AAHHH!! It is going to be a long 6 weeks walking in that thing! It is going to be hard not to get up and do stuff around the house this weekend, but I am glad to be home!!
AFTER pictures will follow soon! I will be getting my bandages changed next Wed. I can't wait to see the incision and absence of BUNION! Call me Crazy!

8 comments:

em said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
em said...

Oh Melissa...you poor thing! Has it been sooo painful for you? I'm so sorry you had to have that done. Maybe the money and the bunion free foot will all be worth it in the end! Let me know if you need any help with anything at all. When are you going back to work? Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Scott Law said...

Well sweety, I'm afraid you inherited that from me. I have one, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as yours. I hope you recover very quickly, and spend the money on something you like, you worked hard for it.

Love, Dad

Lilian said...

I had no idea you were going to have this procedure!!! I hope you get feeling better really soon!!!

Love your blog by the way!!!

Trevor said...

Holy Cow! I bet that new foot is going to look pretty sweet...watch out!

Claire said...

Hey Melissa,
That does not look fun! I hope that your foot heals quickly!!! Thanks for the nice note you left at work. Too bad you're not taking the job...I can understand why, though. It would just be fun to have you work there.
GET WELL SOON!

DA pages said...

Melissa I am so sorry that you had to do that! Let me know if you need any help with anything. By the way I have an x-mas/b-day gift that I want to give to you sometime. We still need to get together with our hubbies.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Hahaha, I am not laughing at your pain, I'm just laughing at your post... pain in the bunion, sooo funny!
I'm sorry you've been hurting (I hate studies... until the check comes;)).
Just think of how pretty you'll look in a pair of cute high-heels without that gnarly bunion :)