Friday, May 30, 2008

Behold the SEWING MACHINE


I grew up with the most talented woman I know! My mother was especially gifted (and still is) in the sewing department! I cannot even begin to recount the hours we spent in fabric stores growing up . Then Her and her sisters would get together to decide which of their craft items would be the biggest seller (oh my goodness Kathryn, we have turned into mom and the Auntie M's). We would go to every craft boutique within driving distance and they would figure out how they could make the cute things that they saw there. I don't know if my mom ever bought anything from a craft fair that didn't come home and get un-stitched to use as a pattern.
Why do I tell you about these quirky things that I love about my mother???
Because I have turned into her!!!

Lately, I LOVE Hancock fabric! And my mother will be glad to hear that the sewing machine I am quite sure she was inspired to give me for Christmas about 5 years ago, has been serving me well. I don't know if this is the baby factor that has me suddenly unable to purchase enough fabric, but whatever it is... bring it on!

I think sewing runs in our blood. My mother tried to teach my sister and I time and time again how to sew but I ALWAYS lost interest the second we had to cut out a pattern. I wanted to do the sewing part not the pattern part. Frankly, I am still scared of patterns! But I do feel like I have a gift for sewing (simple things right now!!) and crafts in general (thanks mom). We lack the creativity part (or at least I do) so lucky for us there are plenty of cute ideas out there to copy!

I am so so grateful for a mother that raised me to appreciate homemade!! It is so rewarding to me to make something with my own two hands. It has just been ingrained in me to see something I love (cute baby blankets lately) and go straight to the hem to see how they did that.
THANKS MOM, you taught me way more than you realize!!

9 comments:

Scott Law said...

Dear Jeff,

Watch out if she starts getting into quilting. Those #@$% machines cost more than a car!!

But you do have a talented wife there and your are #@$% lucky to have her. Oh, and your mother-in-law to.

Scott

Claire said...

I have been wanting to get a sewing machine forever. I just need to get one. I don't think they are too expensive. My friend Melany Larsen is making the cutest baby blanket. She has a picture of it on her blog...You should check it out.

BobN said...

Anyone who can use a sewing machine without landing the needle directly through their fingernail has my undying respect and admiration.

DA pages said...

that is soo neat how we turn into the best women in the world! I love my mom too! it is soo neat that you soon will be one! You'll have to let me know how you like that sewing machine because I need to get one now too.

Heistermanfamily said...

Congratulations on your being pregnant!!! I'm so glad that I checked your blog! I love sewing to, but I am just learning still and even though my baby having days are over I still love to make baby stuff!

Melissa said...

Wow Dad! I have never seen this side of you! Don't worry we will not be investing in a long arm machine... probably ever!!

the Eggett's said...

Nice! Yes, you are very crafty! My mother is a quilting genius but unfortunately I didn't inherit the creative gene from my mom that you got from yours.

Em said...

How far along are you now? I'm so excited for the both of you. Girl or Boy? Oh, won't it be fun to sew the fuufuu dresses? I sometimes wish I had a little girl that I could sew for. My mom passed on her passion for sewing to me too and I don't have anyone to sew for. Somehow I think Bj would look real funny in a fuufuu dress. Though...when he was one I did put a cute ruffle bonnet on him. Oh, he look so darling. I only did it once though. LOL

Margie said...

I'm so impressed Melissa!! It will be a great blessing to your family to have that passion for homemade things!! I hope you are feeling well!!